Year 7: you need to write another PEE paragraph on Pip’s feelings in Chapter 1. Attached is Chapter 1 to help you find another example. Great Expectations – Chapter 1 Below is the step-by-step example we looked at in class:
1) How is Pip FEELING in Chapter 1?
In Chapter 1, Pip is feeling petrified and in a state of shock,
2) Select a QUOTE to show this.
‘ “Hold your noise!” cried a terrible voice.’ (p12)
3) What does this SUGGEST? (Explain what this means in your own words).
This suggests that Pip has been startled as he thought he was on his own in the graveyard and did not expect to hear a strange voice.
4) Which INDIVIDUAL WORDS or PHRASES does Dickens use to reveal Pip’s FEELINGS of FEAR and TERROR?
Dickens uses the word ‘terrible’ to reveal his fear and terror.
5) This makes me feel/realise/understand/ consider/wonder…
This makes me realise that Pip could be in a lot of danger on his own in a graveyard because of the convict.